I know its been awhile since I’ve actually written a piece here rather than just a bit of motivation in the form of a quote, and that’s going to become more of a dynamic mix moving forward.
At this very moment, mankind is facing one of the toughest times we’ve had in a long time. Millions of people in Canada alone have lost jobs, hours are cut, businesses are going under. Whether you’re an essential worker grinding it out everyday, or you’re sitting at home trying to budget every dime and keep busy until this passes, we all have one thing in common, one hell of a mental battle. Though the virus is taking its toll on humanity, and we’re all taking precautions to limit the spread and do everything we can, we’re all also facing a mental battle of our own.
For some this mental battle is a battle of will to keep pushing to serve patients, or clients, for others its a battle to maintain your sanity while you’re sitting at home for days on end trying to find the next show to binge watch. There is some simple steps we can all take to get through this.
- Exercise, whether its a jog at some point throughout the day or a full on home workout, we need to do something to keep our body active to help keep ourselves healthy, and also to help ease our minds by focussing on something else for a few minutes. I’ve started doing a cardio workout each day, and doing pushups on the basis of hourly alarms, so no matter what I’m doing every hour I need to take a break and exercise briefly. This is a great way to “reset” your mind throughout the day, similar to the breaks you would take in a Pomodoro method for working.
- Read a Book, turn off the screens for a bit each day, and pick up a book, now this book doesn’t have to be some motivational or self help book, even a good novel will do. Reading a book will not only let your eyes rest from staring at these screens all day, it will also allow you to use your imagination and relax your mind.
- Find a Hobby, for me this is becoming a puzzle hobby, I found myself the other day working on a puzzle for hours on end, and not even realizing how much time had passed. For somebody like me who is constantly needing to be doing something, and constantly staring at a screen this was a shock to me. I was able to keep my mind occupied for an extended period of time doing something almost rudimentary. I was able to direct my focus to something and channel my energy.
The moral of the story here is no matter who you are, we’re all in battle right now against common enemies, both a deadly virus and our own minds. Let’s those of us at home focus on staying home and keeping ourselves busy, using this time to maybe develop, and all the while we’re doing our part to combat the virus, while everyone on the front lines does their jobs.
Stay Healthy, Stay Safe, Stay Sane.
I don’t know what it is nowadays, but everywhere I look I seem to find some new excuses. We’ve come to a point where most people would rather make excuses and give up, then go through some difficulty, and breakthrough.
To achieve what you dream of achieving in life perseverance is key. Nothing great ever happens without a bit of a struggle first. You need to buckle down and work through whatever gets in the way of your cause, and push through the pain. Not only will this allow to move closer to your end goal, little by little, and step by step, but you’ll come out the other side with a few new ideals:
- You’re stronger than you thought. You made it through the obstacles even though you had thoughts of giving up, again and again.
- Now that you’ve made it through this obstacle, all of the smaller obstacles that can get in your way next week will seem diminished by comparison.
- You’re now that much closer to achieving your dreams.
- You didn’t give up! You won! Take the win and relish in that for a moment. You may not be where you need to be, but you did achieve something!
Whatever the obstacle that gets in front of you in, stop making these excuses and just push forward. Be like the phoenix and rise again!
Until Next Time
Do whatever you do intensely – Robert Henri
We’ve talked a lot lately about focus, and giving 100% of your focus to every goal you set your mind to, but focus isn’t the only thing you need to be successful.
You need an intensity, a passion to achieve what you’re aiming to achieve to be the best at what you’re doing.
Whatever it is you’re doing, do it intensely channeling all the passion you have for what you’re doing into that one task at a time, and you’ll be amazed at what can be achieved.
You can’t devote 100% of your focus to a goal, without an intense desire to achieve that goal. If you desire something intensely enough, and channel your focus into that thing, anything that gets in your way will be but a hurdle rather than a full on obstacle, or worse yet that brick wall that you feel keeps you from continuing all together.
Let’s be intense, let’s desire nothing more than this one goal that we so intensely want to achieve, and let’s go forth this week knowing that we can achieve it.
Until Next Time!
Bill Gates once said “Only through focus can do world-class things, no matter how capable you are”
Truer words have rarely been spoken. It doesn’t matter how great you are if you can’t focus on a goal and continue to develop to work towards that goal!
Everyone has the talent to be great at something, but few people will put in the focus, invest the time, and spend every waking moment thinking about achieving the great things they aspire to achieve.
Success isn’t a part time goal, it has to be your focus 100% of the time. You need to be thinking about it when you wake up in the morning, when you fall asleep at night, and dreaming about success while you sleep. As we’ve discussed before, everyone has a different ideal of what their version of success looks like, but we all start from a similar place. We begin with a talent, and we need to invest time and focus to take that talent, and use it to achieve great things.
When you focus on achieving these goals and set small attainable goals, you’ll be amazed at what you can achieve!
At the end of the day, no matter what you’re doing, focus is the most important aspect, so let’s move forward focussing on our respective goals and growing into our individual ideals of success.
Leave a comment or drop me an email if you have questions or ideas for a topic you’d like covered!